Quick Tip – Hiking Right of Way
Believe it or not, just like on roads, trails have right of way “rules”. Knowing and following them make for a more enjoyable hike for everyone!
- Yield the trail to uphill hikers. It’s easier to resume a faster downhill pace; Unless of course you’re the uphill hiker and you’re burnt and want to use a passerby as an excuse to rest…
- If you’re moving fast, call out to hikers ahead of you. Indicate how you will pass (think “on your left” like bikers call out.)
- Dog hikers should have dogs on leash and yield to everyone. Heel your best friend around hikers with kids or other dogs.
- Make your presence known to horseback riders.
- When you yield – do so downhill and off trail as best as possible. Go for a durable vegetation free surface if you can.